This is Part 1 of a two-part article which describes some strange and funny things that dogs will do at home which may amuse you.
Anyone who has had the pleasure of having a dog in their house must wonder at some of the antics they see every day. I’m giving my age away when I mention that Art Linkletter used to say « Kids say the darndest things ». Well, dogs do the darndest things also.
Just think about it – when you are watching TV and see a dog being hugged by someone or if they do something funny or even goofy, who can’t help but smile. Think of the reaction of most patients to a therapy dog in a hospital. You can’t help but being emotional.
So here are a few things that dogs do that will either annoy or amuse you. I hope you enjoy them. By the way, the quotes are around what your dog might be thinking.
- It’s Saturday morning and time to sleep in – except your dog has other ideas. « It’s time to get up and take me out to pee and it’s also time to play with me and feed me… «
- « I don’t want to go out in the rain even though I’m sure you love the rain »!
- « I don’t care if it is snowing, I don’t want my booties on »
- « Why do I constantly bark at the mailman or UPS driver? Because I want to scare him away from my house and it works because he leaves! »
- Why am I barking at 3 AM – didn’t you hear that cat meowing outside? »
- No matter how cold it is, you can get as bundled up as much as you want for the snow, but your dog will still stop at « What are you cold, Pop? »
- How often does your dog find a small hole in a chew toy or a pillow and miraculously it becomes a LARGE hole for the stuffing to come out and make a nice mess? « Did I do that?? »
- How can one small dog have so much fur that gets into everything?
- Isn’t it just great when you put your coat on after your dog tells you he has to pee and then he refuses to go out because it’s raining?
- And, don’t you just love the smell of wet dog fur when your dog finally goes out and then comes in from the rain?
- Does your dog recognize commercials on the TV – mine does. And he goes nuts when he hears a TV doorbell or, worse yet, sees a dog or cat on the screen. He crazily jumps up and down in front of the TV.
- At night, how often have you walked through your dark house and stepped on one of your dog’s toys or bones? This wakes him up and he starts barking – which wakes the whole house! Try teaching your dog to put his toys away – It ain’t easy!
- Why does your dog shake after a bath? « It’s more fun than waiting for a towel to dry me. »
I hope you have enjoyed these anecdotes. If you have any dog behaviors that I haven’t mentioned, please let me know. You can email me with your suggestions at:
firstname.lastname@example.org I would love to hear from you.
By the way, please look for my Part 2 of this article here: